Wednesday, September 16, 2009

How do you like dem' apples

1/2 pecks of gala apples were 77c/lb at Roche, so we had to get some. They looked delicious and there's something about the beginning of fall and bags of apples that go together.

And then there's baked apples. Or, specifically, baked apple treats. Really my relationship with apples is all about baked goods... or spicy mustard, good cheese, and crusty bread. Mmmmm. This is when I know I'm British- life still revolves around bread and cheese. Anyhow, today I'm home from work battling an on again-off again migraine-ish headache and have no desire to traipse my oversized rugby shirt-clad ass to the local cheese shop. So baked goods it is.

Here is my new recipe for apple streusel muffins (adapted from Elaine's Crunchy Apple Muffins, thank you Elaine!)

Apple Streusel Muffins
Makes 12; Approx 3 Weight Watchers points per muffin.

Ingredients:
Muffins
1 cup Quick Oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (sifted)
1/4 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/4 cup white sugar
2tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (tho next time I may use allspice for the nutmeg kick)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 tbsp fat-free sour cream
2 tbsp butter
2 cups Gala apples (chopped)

Streusel topping
1/4 cup Quick Oats
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp fat-free milk

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix.
3. Fold in apples. (I like to wait to cut the apples until after the dry and wet ingredients are mixed to prevent browning).
4. Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups (I spray my muffin tins with canola oil spray to avoid sticking)
5. Mix ingredients for streusel topping in a small bowl. Spoon approx,. 1/2 tsp of streusel topping onto each muffin.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for approx. 20 minutes.
7. Enjoy :)

My partner rated these a 4 out of 5 (she suggested adding the allspice next time and I, after taste testing, concur). Otherwise, they're moist and yummy. A nice afternoon snack for hungry tummies who love baked apple goodies. And at 3 points a muffin, why not?

No comments: