Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The preface

I never thought I'd be one to write a blog, much less one entitled, "A big lass weighs in..." But, this is the age of self-professed and published sins, so I'm jumping on the onlinewagon. At least for now.

I've been the girl with the pretty face for about 26years now. In between bouts of fasting and feasting, I've been the girl with the pretty body. It's been awhile.

Not that things have been terrible. I hit my personal venti-size almost five years ago when I hit 248.6lbs. Yes, I remember the .6lbs that showed up on the scale when I registered at Weight Watchers that January 2004. With WW, I shifted about 50lbs in 8 months, and then dropped another 10lbs in the 6 months following. And for the past four years I've stabilized, sliding between 183-190lbs (with a one-time post-tonsilitis low of 175lbs).

I've been "satisfied." At first, proud that for the first time in my adult life I wasn't see-sawing between tens and tens of pounds. Proud that I'd battled past the bulimia of my high school and compulsive overeating of my college years. Proud that I could maintain a "steady" weight for the past few years.

But, now it's not enough. I'm not comfortable in this plus-sized body anymore. So, I'm weighing in. And, yes, I'm heading back to the tried and true Weight Watchers program. I need something that I can slip into- that's challenging but comforting- and, if necessary, forgiving.

Tonight's the preface. Tomorrow's the weigh-in.

Yes, I may be silly to start this before the travel and celebration that will hapen for me and my family this December. I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I can't postpone this longer.

Also, so I don't set myself up for blogging-failure. You should know that I've never kept a blog. Never read other blogs regularly. So don't expect multiple posts-per-day. Life's too busy and I'm just starting out. But, I'm hoping that by putting this out there, that I'll coach myself through these next 50lbs AND hold myself accountable.

And perhaps I'll create a few laughs along the way. Til tomorrow.

No comments: