Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dog love

Today I want to say thank you to Bryce. For those of you haven't met her, Bryce is my 5 year old german shepherd mix. This love of my life was introduced to me in February 2004. She was a cute bundle of fur that fit in my hand. During our first year together my primary care doctor found a mass in my throat. As I anxiously awaited surgery and cancer diagnosis, many days Bryce was the only thing that got me out of bed.

Her puppy energy led me to begin running, which in turn reduced my anxiety. Her playful antics and love of soccer kept me smiling.  And, at night, when I was most vulnerable, she curled up with me on the bed.

It wasn't all easy. She was demanding- a true alpha who didn't respond to treats, cuddles or toys while training. Some days, I was too tired to manage alone.

Thankfully, many wonderful folks pitched in. My special thanks goes to friends Ashley and Kat for their support and walking skills :)  And to my then girlfriend, now wife, Heather who invited Bryce into her home, walked her in the mornings to the Starbucks to get me coffee, took her away a few weekends so I could rest and unwind, and learned to love her (despite not naturally loving dogs).

I also met Mindy and Erin, the best dog walkers that exist on this planet (in my very humble opinion). Their thoughtful care of Bryce and their support of me when I couldn't pay the normal rate due to medical bills was beyond comparison. I am so grateful to them.

Today Bryce and I take a morning walk along the parkway. She is the best friend a woman could have- serious, playful, demanding, caring. She is in tune with my needs and isn't afraid to remind me of hers.

As I walk her in the morning sun, soccer ball flying between us, it's impossible not to feel deep happiness, love and grace. I am so thankful for her place in my life and the gifts she has given me along the way.


No comments: