Monday, August 29, 2011

BBQ & running shoes

Since college I've wanted to run the Country's BBQ 5k in Columbus, GA. The event round off a week of charity sports events benefiting local charities that support the blind.

The first time I attended the event I was cheering for my brother's in-laws while drinking beer with him, his wife and one if her sisters. I was significantly heavier at the time and couldn't dream  of running in a race-but I wanted to.

The Country's run is a huge block party. Along the route folks are tailgating and laughing (one house had a love band!). It makes the run go quickly and the midnight hour feel like you're celebrating late. It's definitely a must for anyone visiting Columbus in late August.

This year I finally did it. My wife, brother, sister-in-law,  her dad and my dad all signed up this year. The boys walked, my sis-in-law and I ran-walked and my wife ran it. While u entered the race for me originally, it became much more then that. I got to connect with my sis-in-law and feel accomplished setting the pace. I was able to bond with my family, and (most importantly) I was able to encourage my dad to do something new and exciting.

I am so proud of my dad for signing up and doing the race. He just had heart surgery 3 months ago and you wouldn't have known out except for his t-short proclaiming his C.A.B.G status. It was his first race and I think he's caught the bug now! I'm going so as I'd love to do races with him :) So I've offered to fly down to do the Celebrity Classic in April 2012 (another 5k). I hope he takes me up on it!.


No comments: